Monday, December 19, 2011

Just a Second


I had never heard of Steve Jenkins until about a month ago, but it seems now I keep seeing more and more of his books.  It is fun to find a new author - especially when they aren't actually new so there are lots of books to choose from.  Just a Second actually is new - it was just published in October of this year.  This is a book that catalogs time.  It tells the different things that can happen in just one second: a hummingbird beats its wings 50 times, a bee 200 times, a black mamba slithers 24 feet and a human can blink 7 times.

The book continues to go through minutes, hours and more extended periods of time.  Each double page spread is filled with facts - and each fact is accompanied by a simple illustration.  This book is fascinating.  Any child who has ever asked, "How long until . . . "  or "How long does it take to . . . " will love this book.  This book is interesting for all ages and especially fun for those who are just beginning to grasp time and how it passes.

6 comments:

Ms. O said...

Hello from the blog challenge! This is one Steve Jenkins I haven't seen yet ... but I totally love his stuff. The kids at my school go crazy for the "Actual Size" illustrations as well as ... can't remember the proper title but it's all about animals and different habitats. Something about a kookaburra. Enjoy discovering his amazing art!

Ms. O said...

I mean comment challenge. *Insert embarrassed typo-hit return too fast-face here.*

Beth Stilborn said...

I'd never encountered Steve Jenkins' books, but this sounds fascinating! Thank you.

(Popped in from the Comment Challenge.)

Doret said...

I love Steve Jenkins illustrations. Compared to what the other animals can do, blinking eyes 7 times in a minute is not so impressive but we have thumbs so there.

Michelle Cusolito said...

I love Jenkins' books. I didn't know about this one. I'll have to check it out.

Sylvia Liu said...

This sounds interesting. It reminds me of the picture book, A Million Dots. The pictures are composed entirely of dots (think old newspaper photos but in color), and along the way, the author points out interesting facts about a particular number, all the way up to a million.